Environmental Toxic Substances :
What Every Parent Should Know .....
Article by : Jeff Smith RN
In the past two centuries we've released literally thousands of new chemicals into the world. They’re produced by ever more countries, in ever larger quantities, with little understanding how they affect nature - not to mention our own health ! They're in our air, water and soil, the dust that blows along our streets. They permeate our homes and workplaces, and find their way into our very bodies.
Clearly we've leaped into this brave new world before we looked. Are these substances good for us ? Can our bodies deal with them ? We hope so, but if over time they can’t, there must at some point be consequences. What follows should give an idea what those consequences might be.
In 2004, testing was done by the Environmental Working Group, together with the American Red Cross, on the umbilical chord blood of 10 newborn babies. The results were shocking. A total of 287 chemicals – an average of 200 per child - were discovered. Among these chemicals were :
- 153 that can alter the hormonal system
- 133 linked to cancer in animal tests
- 151 linked to birth defects
- 185 associated with infertility and reproductive problems
- 130 that affect the immune system
- 157 that are toxic to the nervous system.
And since a mother’s body concentrates these substances, an infant will continue to receive more of
them in her breast milk.
Birth defects are steadily - and in some areas rapidly - increasing, worldwide. There are now 4.4 million children in the United States diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Autism now affects as many as 1 in 55
male children. Childhood allergies, asthma and cancer, all with known links to environmental toxins,
continue to rise.
Children and the unborn are the most vulnerable members of our society, the “canary in the coal mine” for our human species. Their illnesses should be an impetus to us for action. Here are three key ways to begin :
- Learn more about this issue, and share the information further.
- Protect and detoxify yourself and your family, and show friends how.
- Link up with others who are concerned, speak out to your elected officials - and encourage friends
to do the same !
What Are Your Wellness Goals ?